CHIEF OPERATING OFFICER
Our Mission: Marine Drive is a progressive private golf club that delivers an outstanding experience in all areas and boasts a proud and passionate membership who enjoy an inclusive social atmosphere that promotes friendships for life.
Our Vision: A competitive, healthy, and inclusive golf club where all members and staff take pride in contributing to an outstanding Marine Drive experience.
Our Values: Service, Stewardship, Openness, Friendship, Pride.
The Club of Champions:
Marine Drive Golf Club is a traditional private members golf club in Vancouver, British Columbia with a proud and storied history, and a passionate membership that promotes friendship for life. Designed by Arthur Vernon Macan, our 6,300-yard, par 71 golf course has earned the respect of many fine players and continues to provide an exceptional test of golf.
Marine Drive Golf Club was established in 1922 and has consistently been a leading member in the British Columbian golf community. Our membership is proud of our tradition of champion men, women, boys and girls who have called, and do call, Marine Drive home. We are equally proud of the social aspects of Club membership, whether enjoyed on the course or in the clubhouse. Set on the north arm of the Fraser River, Marine Drive is one of only three private golf clubs in the city of Vancouver and is easily accessed from the downtown core.
Reinvestment in our course, practice and clubhouse facilities is an ongoing priority for Marine Drive members. Our golf course has been well maintained and thoughtfully upgraded over the years. In 2010, all bunkers and green surrounds were completely renovated. Golf course architect Jim Urbina was selected for this project because of his commitment to maintaining A.V. Macan’s philosophy, with today’s golfer in mind.
We are looking for a Chief Operating Officer (COO) reporting to the Board to oversee the entire Club. The COO will deliver a consistently excellent member experience within the existing financial framework. The COO will balance innovation with tradition as the history of the club is highly valued by members. The anticipated start date is in January 2018.
The COO will be responsible for the following:
- The consistent delivery of a member experience commensurate with specified member expectations.
- The development and implementation of the Marine Drive Strategic Plan and resulting Business Plan.
- Directly supervises and is responsible for food and beverage operations, membership services, Club facilities, administrative services, and the implementation of Board policy and strategy. The Golf Operation including pro shop services and golf course maintenance is led by the Director of Golf.
- The performance management for the Club’s financial results, operating processes and senior management performance.
- Senior Managers who report directly to the COO and are responsible for the day-to-day activities and processes. Although the COO will rely on the Senior Managers to operate the daily activities, the COO will be ultimately responsible for overall performance metrics and service.
- Representation of the Club to members, staff and external agencies. The COO is engaged in new member onboarding.
The initial key areas of focus for the COO will be:
- To understand the Club’s mission, vision and culture though interaction with members of all categories. This will be essential in building and executing plans and services to deliver the member experience model.
- To work with the Board in reviewing and potentially enhancing the current Club Strategic Plan. From the Strategic Plan, then construct a Business Plan and a Marketing Plan that drives Club revenue and achieves the agreed upon financial results.
- As part of the Business Plan, conduct a complete operational review in order to develop an efficient and capable operating model with opportunities for increased revenues or service delivery improvements.
- From the operational review, develop key performance indicators which can be used by the COO and Board to initiate business process improvement, establish a performance management plan and to measure success.
- Develop and undertake a comprehensive Human Resources program that includes Club-wide service training, a professional development plan and succession planning for key positions
The COO reports to the Board. Given the leading role this individual will play in achieving the strategic objectives of Marine Drive Golf Club, it is essential that the successful candidate possess the following core competencies, experience and attributes:
- A dynamic leader with the ability to build strong teams by motivation and leading by example. Has the ability to provide direction and expectations, performance feedback and recognition that leads to outcomes;
- A minimum of five (5) years of directly related experience as a senior leader in the golf industry, experience in the private club, hospitality and resort industries preferred provided the candidate has golf industry experience;
- A self-starter and results oriented work style combined with excellent communication and interpersonal skills with all the Club’s stakeholders;
- Strong professional deportment with a clear commitment to member service through an open and transparent customer/member approach;
- A strategic thinker with strong business acumen with the ability to “grow the business”;
- Previous experience planning, obtaining approval of and overseeing capital projects would be an asset;
- Experienced in championing change initiatives and processes, from beginning to end, with strong results. Willing to challenge the status quo and demonstrates an optimistic attitude towards change;
- An entrepreneurial style combined with a background in all aspects of business management including business development, finance, information technology, human resources, risk management and performance management;
- Readily accepts and responds to challenges. Directly confronts problems and persists in finding a solution;
- Demonstrates integrity and ethical conduct in words and deeds;
- Incorporates succession planning by preparing staff for key leadership roles;
- Ensures compliance with all regulatory and matters affecting the Club;
- A definite business presence with a background in all aspects of business management including business development, finance, information technology, human resources, risk management and performance management;
- A post-secondary degree in business or a related discipline is required;
- A Certified Club Manager designation (CCM) is preferred.
Note: the previous Chief Operating Officer retired on August 1, 2017. Download this posting here.
The Club will offer an attractive compensation package, commensurate with experience, which will include a competitive base salary and benefits.
IMPORTANT: Interested candidates should submit resumes along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position by Tuesday, October 10th, 2017. Those documents must be saved and emailed in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name Resume” and ‘Last Name, First Name Cover Letter”) respectively to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Global Golf Advisors Inc.
For more information on Marine Drive Golf Club: www.marine-drive.com
- Latest News