Earl Grey Golf Club:Following and respecting the traditions of the past while providing facilities and improvements for future generations.
Earl Grey was founded in 1919 by Major Duncan Stuart, a practicing city lawyer, who organized a group of people interested in playing golf. The original course, which consisted of five holes, was located on land leased from the C.P.R., south of and adjacent to the Earl Grey Public School in the Mount Royal district. The Club moved on two occasions, and in 1932, a twenty-year lease was negotiated with the City of Calgary for the present site.
Rejuvenation and Transition:
Improvements were made to the courses and clubhouse over the years leading to a transition to the current club designed to meet member expectations for the entire family. In anticipation of celebrating its 100th anniversary in 2019, the Club is conducting a facility wide rejuvenation. This started in 2015 with the development of a new state of the art Maintenance facility, the renovation of the 9-hole Par 3 Course in 2016, and now the renovation and renewal of the 18-hole Championship Course, Driving Range, parking lots and the build of a new Clubhouse in 2018. A new club and power cart storage facility is set to open in 2019.
There is little doubt that Earl Grey will continue as one of Calgary’s premiere family Golf Clubs and a choice of many for years to come. The new General Manager has an opportunity to be a part of the Club’s exciting future.
We are looking for a General Manager (GM) reporting to the Board to oversee the entire Club. The GM will deliver a consistently excellent member experience within the existing financial framework. The GM will balance innovation with tradition as the history of the club is highly valued by members. The anticipated start date is in October 2018.
The GM will be responsible for the following:
- The consistent delivery of a member experience commensurate with specified member expectations.
- The supervision of the food and beverage operations, membership services, golf services operations, golf course maintenance, Club facilities and administrative services.
- The implementation of Board policy and strategy.
- Preparation of the annual operating and capital budgets and the Club’s financial results, operating processes and senior management performance.
- Senior Managers who report directly to the GM and are responsible for the day-to-day activities and processes. Although the GM will rely on the Senior Managers to operate the daily activities, the GM will be ultimately responsible for overall performance metrics and service.
- Representation of the Club to members, staff and external agencies. The GM is engaged in new member recruitment and onboarding.
The initial key areas of focus for the GM will be:
- To complete the transition to the new Club facilities to maximize member use and benefit from renovation of the golf courses together with the new clubhouse in preparation for the Club’s 100 Anniversary Celebrations in 2019.
- To maximize the Club’s primary revenue sources of membership recruitment and retention and food and beverage profitability.
- To understand the Club’s mission, vision and evolving culture though interaction with members of all categories. This will be essential in building and executing plans and services to deliver the member experience model.
- To work with the Board in reviewing and potentially enhancing the current Club Strategic Plan. From the Strategic Plan, then construct a Business Plan and a Marketing Plan that drives Club revenue and achieves the agreed upon financial results.
- As part of the Business Plan, conduct a complete operational review in order to develop an efficient and capable operating model with opportunities for increased revenues or service delivery improvements.
- From the operational review, develop key performance indicators which can be used by the GM and Board to initiate business process improvement, establish a performance management plan and to measure success.
The GM reports to the Board. Given the leading role this individual will play in achieving the strategic objectives of Earl Grey Golf Club, it is essential that the successful candidate possess the following core competencies, experience and attributes:
The GM will be responsible for the following:
- A dynamic leader with the ability to build strong teams by motivation and leading by example. Has the ability to provide direction and expectations, performance feedback and recognition that leads to positive outcomes;
- Previous experience as a senior leader at a private golf club or other similar facility, experience in the hospitality industry beneficial;
- A self-starter and results oriented work style combined with excellent communication and interpersonal skills with all the Club’s stakeholders;
- Strong professional deportment with a clear commitment to member service through an open and transparent member/customer approach;
- A strategic thinker with strong business acumen with to maximize revenue potential;
- Politically astute. Able to identify potential issues and deal effectively with them while exercising tact and diplomacy;
- An entrepreneurial style combined with a background in all aspects of business management including business development, finance, information technology, human resources, risk management and performance management;
- Readily accepts and responds to challenges. Directly confronts problems and persists in finding a solution;
- Demonstrates integrity and ethical conduct in words and deeds;
- Incorporates succession planning by preparing staff for key leadership roles;
- Ensures compliance with all regulatory and matters affecting the Club;
- A definite business presence complemented with personal drive, resourcefulness, maturity, integrity, and sound business judgment;
- Experience reporting to a Board that has adopted a club governance structure and processes to lead the Club and GM to success;
- A post-secondary degree in business or a related discipline preferred;
- A Certified Club Manager designation (CCM) is preferred.
The current General Manager will retire on October 31, 2018.
The Club will offer an attractive compensation package, commensurate with experience, which will include a competitive base salary and benefits.
IMPORTANT: Interested candidates should submit resumes along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position by Wednesday, July 4, 2018. Those documents must be saved and emailed in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name EG Resume” and “Last Name, First Name – EG Cover Letter”) respectively to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Global Golf Advisors Inc.
For more information on Earl Grey Golf Club: www.earlgreygolfclub.com
Note: Download this posting here.
- Latest News