SCARBORO GOLF & COUNTRY CLUB
Scarboro Golf & Country Club has a truly unique and prestigious history which dates back to 1912. The Club is a private member club in eastern Toronto, Canada and has an 18-hole golf course that is consistently ranked among the top 100 courses in Canada with a grand Edwardian clubhouse which opened in 1914.
The course was originally designed by George Cummings and was extensively changed in 1924 under the direction of A. W. Tillinghast. The golf course went through a further renovation in 2010 which was overseen by famed golf architect Gil Hanse. Mr. Hanse designed the golf course in Rio to host the 2016 Olympics. He has designed and worked on many other world-renowned golf courses and performed numerous Tillinghast restorations.
Scarboro has been proud host of the Canadian Open golf tournament four times. Past Champions include Sam Snead, Bobby Locke, Dave Douglas and Doug Ford. In hosting the 1958 Canadian Amateur Championship, a first-round casualty was an 18-year-old Jack Nicklaus. In 1961, the course was one of 25 that hosted the World Series of Golf matches between Masters and British Open champions, Gary Player and Arnold Palmer. In fact, Mr. Palmer was so taken with the golf course, he included Scarboro’ s signature par 3 Hole # 14 as one of his all-time favourite holes. Numerous other professional and amateur events have been conducted on the Club’s fairways over the years including the CPGA tour championship in 2012.
We are looking for a Controller reporting to the Chief Operating Officer. The Controller manages the financial operations of the club, supervises the accounting functions and provides analytical support to and participates with the COO, Board, Finance Committee and others for planning, budgets and solutions to business problems. The Controller recommends, implements and maintains the Club’s financial plans and policies, its accounting practices, fiscal records and the preparation of financial reports. The Controller makes decisions in accordance with Club policy on administrative or operational matters and ensures the operations’ effective achievement of objectives.
The Controller will be responsible for the following:
- Recommends and implements policies to control and coordinate accounting, auditing, budgets, taxes and related activities and records; develop, establish and administer procedures and systems pertaining to financial matters. Responsible for the Club’s internal controls and compliance to same.
- Prepare financial statements, forecasts and analysis for all administrative and managerial functions. Maintain all accounting records; develop, analyze and interpret statistical and accounting information.
- Manage the annual audit.
- Evaluate operating results for costs, revenues, budgets, policies of operation, trends and increased profit possibilities. Serve as liaison to finance, insurance and pension committees. Supervise the staffing, scheduling, training and professional development of department members.
- Responsible for the development, implementation and operation of all accounting and information systems support; for the administration, management and maintenance of the equipment systems employed in the collection of information and for the training and supervision of staff related to (but not limited to) the Administrative area.
- Development, analysis, and interpretation of statistical and accounting information in order to appraise operating results in terms of profitability, performance against budget, and other matters bearing on the fiscal soundness and operating effectiveness of the organization.
- Responsible for evaluating the performance of personnel in the Administration Department. This individual recommends training requirements, has the duty to keep the staff at the highest level of skill necessary to meet Club needs and objectives, and may recommend that personnel be hired or removed from the Department.
- Establishes major economic objectives and policies for the Club and prepares reports that outline the Club’s financial position in the areas of income, expenses, and earnings based on past, present, and future operations.
- Coordinates and directs the preparation of the budget, business plan and financial forecasts, institutes and maintains other planning and control procedures, and analyzes and reports variances.
- Is responsible for tax planning and compliance with all federal, provincial, and local corporate, payroll, and other applicable taxes.
- Furnishes internal reports, revises and updates reports to be more useful and efficient, and furnishes external reports as necessary.
- Evaluates and recommends insurance coverage for protection against property losses and potential liabilities.
- CMA, CA
- Five to seven years of professional accounting experience with at least two years as Controller; Not-for-profit experience an asset
- Excellent management, leadership, analytical and interpersonal skills
- Ability to design and implement a control reporting system. Experience in systems integration, flowcharting, documentation and key control analysis required. Experience overseeing information technology operation and electronic data transfer between systems
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures or governmental regulations.
- Knowledge and understanding of retirement plans and benefit programs.
- Knowledge of pertinent Ontario and federal employment laws and practices.
The position is currently vacant.
The Club will offer an attractive compensation package, commensurate with experience, which will include a competitive base salary and benefits.
IMPORTANT: Interested candidates should submit resumes along with a detailed cover letter which addresses the qualifications and describes your alignment/experience with the prescribed position by Tuesday, June 25th, 2019. Those documents must be saved and emailed in Word or PDF format (save as “Last Name, First Name, Scarboro Controller Cover Letter” and “Last Name, First Name Scarboro Controller Resume”) respectively to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Global Golf Advisors Inc.
For more information on Scarboro Golf and Country Club: www.scarborogolf.com
- Latest News